How many people does it take to change a tire?

I have a confession to make.

As much as I consider myself to be a "modern woman", capable of doing all of the traditionally man tasks and making it on my own - I'm really a girly girl when it comes down to it.

I don't take out the garbage.

I don't mow the lawn.

I have never changed the oil in my car - or changed a tire.

When I was on my way home from work this evening, my car started wobbling and I pulled over to see what was wrong (the last time this happened, my tie-rod was busted... and I was in real trouble).

I was relieved to see that it was just a flat tire.

I took a moment to consider my options - option 1: attempt to change the tire myself and option 2: attempt to drive home and get B to take care of it for me.

The tire was looking really flat... and I could do this... right?!?

I went with option 1.

Had I been able to actually loosen more than 1 bolt I think I might have managed to jack the car up on my own - but after 20 minutes of grunting and pulling and pushing with all of the strength I could muster, those bolts weren't budging.

Why wasn't anyone stopping.

Tears of frustration were starting to make their appearance.

Finally 2 guys biked by and after considering my poor state, turned around to ask if I could use some help.

Of course the "boy" could loosen the bolts that I couldn't.

But once the bolts were loosened and the car was jacked... the tire wouldn't budge... and I am not exaggerating here - it was seriously stuck.

Finally 2 older men came out of a machine-shop or air-hanger (I was driving along the airport service road) and brought tools (hammer, jack hammer, a giant wrench) to help.

15 minutes later - my flat tire was still attached to my car. One of the men went to find some oil.

(Note: You should always have a spray can of oil in your car!)

About 30 seconds after he started spraying, the tire finally slipped off.

About 5 minutes later I was back in the car, on my way home.

Did I mention that the girls were with me?  That I was wearing a pencil skirt with a particularly high slit in the back? That in the end I was standing there with not 2, not 4, but 6 men helping me - the poor girly woman on the side of the road :-P

I feel like such a girl !

1 comments:

Aimée said...

I love it! Not the frustrating part for you, but it's a great story. I *think* I would have done the same thing....but the skirt would have made if difficult.
You go girl!

Post a Comment

What do you think about that?

Related Posts with Thumbnails