From busy life to thumb sucking... to guilt.

I haven't gone this long without posting anything on a.o.k. since I started my personal blog more than a year ago. The fact that it's been more than a month is proof of the fact that I've been very busy these last few weeks. Work is busy. Our home life is busy. Fundraising and training for summit for wishes is busy.

... and now I'm starting to wonder if all the busyness in my own life is starting to take it's tole on my family... and especially on my baby.  Nothing like a little "mom guilt" to get me blogging again!!

Meaghan - my lovable, quirky, strong-willed and uber-cute 17 month old - sucks her thumb. She's always been a sucker. It started with my pinky finger - consoling her as a very very new baby. We introduced the soother very quickly to little Meaghs, but it didn't stick long. As soon as she discovered her thumb, she never went back. It has never really bothered me that she sucks her thumb. Though I'll admit that I often wonder how I'm going to "take the thumb away" when it's time. It's not like I can "lose" her thumb?!? And I personally sucked my thumb for a really long time (only very few people can attest to just how long) - so I know that it's not necessarily something I can control (even with icky tasting nail-polish!).

So Meaghan's thumb sucking is normal for her... but...

Lately Brandon and I have been noticing that she seems to be turning to her "thumb" more often... to the point where the skin is starting to chap and peel. It really looks terrible.

I was worrying a little about it and mentioned it casually to a friend at work. Her sister is a dental hygienist and so she hooked us up so that I could ask for advice.  The major things that stood out from our conversation were:

(1) She's really still very young to try and make her stop (could lead to a lot of frustration and battles for nothing);
(2) If she's sucking it more recently, it might because she's a bit insecure for some reason... Is there any change, added stress...?

... uh oh...

Added stress? ooof. Sucking her thumb more? yes. More tired and grumpy? uh-huh... Between work, the gym, hikes on the weekend, ETC. - I've been busier and more absent lately. Could it be my fault that she's sucking the skin off her thumb (almost literally)?

Ouch.

Guilt.

So now what?

(1) I'm trying to focus more on her when I am around. Give her more special attention in an attempt to make sure she feels secure (in case that is actually the problem).
(2) I'm making a real effort to leave work on time and do the extra stuff once the girls are in bed (so that they don't notice)
(3) I'm trying to figure out a way to bring them along for the next hike...
(4) I'm going to apply some very light cortisone cream to her thumb tomorrow morning to see if it helps the skin.
(5)... and I'm hoping it's all just a coincidence and that I'm not actually making my baby "insecure" somehow...

sigh...

A.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think about that?

Related Posts with Thumbnails