a.o.k. "trial" gourmet (25) Sloppy Joes!


Brandon loves his job. He loves it so much that he enjoys volunteering his time and working extra hours to coach basketball. I thought my evenings of making and eating supper alone with the girls were over when basketball season ended, but no, Brandon and a few of his colleagues decided that this was the year to start a flag-football team. The sparkle in his eyes when he talks about the team is hard to resist. He really does enjoy his work... and that is not something everyone is able to say (and he honest about!).

However... I would be lying if I didn't say that I sometimes find it hard to come home to making (and eating) supper alone with the girls because of an after-school practice or game. I know I shouldn't complain.  It's only a couple times a week. But what can I say? The major perk of being married to a teacher is that his schedule allows him to home earlier (and more) and I'm used to it.

On one such evening last week, I came home with almost no plan for dinner. I say almost because I did have ground beef thawed in the fridge. Not enough time for shepherds pie, not enough time for meatloaf, no hamburger buns... but I did have hot dog buns... hmmm... michigan style hot dogs? sloppy joes...?

You may think I'm strange, but the idea of sloppy joes made my mouth water. The only problem was that I had never actually made them.

It's at times like this that I cannot believe that the online world has been a part of my daily life for just over a decade... I consult google for anything and everything... and especially for recipes.

Type in "sloppy joes from scratch" and the list of results should lead you to this recipe.


1. Brown 1 1/2 lbs ground beef in a frying pan.

2. Mix together ingredients for sauce*. Pour over meat and let simmer about 20 minutes.

 *Ingredients for sauce:
1 15 ounce can tomato sauce (I used 2 cups of Simple Bites' home-made tomato sauce)
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 Teaspoon ground mustard
1 Teaspoon onion powder
1/4 cup ketchup
Salt to Taste
Pepper to Taste (black or cayenne)


3. Serve on your choice of bun or bread. Add grated cheese if desired.



Simple? Yes. Tasty? Yes. Healthy? I think so(?)

I added some raw veggies to the meal and we were good to go!


Note: This meal was gobbled up and loved by both girls. For Meaghan I simply sliced the sloppy joe once it was prepared.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think... it will be a "do again"!

A. said...

for sure. it was too easy... and I love the tomatoey/sweet sauce with the beef. ymmm.

Post a Comment

What do you think about that?

Related Posts with Thumbnails