a.o.k. trial gourmet (29) Sweet and Sour Pork



We've been blessed with particularly nice weather this summer haven't we? Beautiful weekends for everything from camping, garage sales and star gazing to lounging around the back yard and playing with the girls in the pool. We've definitely put our AC to good use these past couple of months... but lately there's a chill in the evening air... and I'm starting to crave slow cooker meals - which can only mean that fall is slowly creeping up on us.

Truth be told, I love the summer months and I'm sad to see them coming to an end, but I also love the Fall (when it's not cold and raining!).  I started "officially" dating Brandon on Sept 25th in our senior year of high school. Thanksgiving has got to be a close 2nd to Christmas for my "favorite holidays" - mostly because of the food! Oh and my birthday also happens to be in the Fall as well... :-)

Why am I talking about the Fall? Well.. When I made this a.o.k gourmet meal - which the original recipe refers to as "Cantonese Dinner Recipe" - it made me think of other "comfort/one-pot" meals that are so typical of my fall/winter dinner repertoire.

I found this recipe using Brandon's new ipod touch. What a cool little gadget... and it's not even the iphone! Allrecipes.com has an app to search for recipes... you put in your main ingredient, the type of meal you're looking for and how long you want it to take... and presto... a list of recipes at your fingertips.

I had these pork cubes which I'd gotten on special and didn't know what to do with them. I modified the recipe I found on the ipod (by reading the recipe reviews) and was really happy with the result. Actually - everyone was thrilled with the result and I will be making this "sweet&sour pork" again and again in the months to come.

Curious... Here's the recipe (can you say easy!!!???)

Ingredients:

  • 2 pounds pork, cut into strips or small cubes
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 onion, thinly sliced
  • 4 carrots, cut into about 1 inch pieces
  • 1 pepper, cut into small pieces
  • 1 (4.5 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
  • 2 1 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 3 1 1/2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 4 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
Directions:
1.In a large heavy skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown pork in oil. Drain off excess fat.
2.Place pork, onion, mushrooms, carrot, peppers, tomato sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, salt and Worcestershire sauce in a slow cooker. Cook on High for 4 hours, or on Low for 6 to 8 hours.

Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think about that?

Related Posts with Thumbnails