A mom for 3 years!


Dear Layla,

Today is your third birthday. It's so hard to imagine my life without you. Sometimes it is as if you've always been around - peppering my days with your smiles and your shananigans and sharing your sweet and funny way of seeing the world. 

So many times in the last few months, you dad and I have wondered at the things that you say or do and exchanged a questioning smile "how old is she? is she really only 2?". But though you often seemed older than you were, I still can't believe you're now 3. And I can't believe I've been your mom... a mom... for 3 years!

My dear sweet Layla - do you know how much I love you? Do I tell you enough? Do I show you enough? Am I speaking your "love language" when I do? I love you more than you'll ever know - just thinking about it, my heart feels bigger somehow. Your quick smile, your bubbly and spontaneous personality, and your "can I make some rules please?" negotiation tactics!

Watching you learn about the world is incredibly special. Cringing when you climb to the top of the play structure at the park, attempting to explain why you can't marry your dad or teaching you when to say please and thank you... it's all a part of the game.

Sometimes you drive us crazy "Can I...Can I...?" "Why...?" "Why...?" "Mamma... I said why?". Sometimes you're too adorable for words "Mamma, I love so big... you're my favorite mamma ever...". And sometimes you play us "...Can you just lie with me a little bit? Rub my back? Tickle my face?"... But most of the time it's a pleasure {an absolute pleasure} to be your mom!

...And no matter how crazy you can make me sometimes... I love you ALL of the time. And I promise I always will.

There are so many things that I want to remember. So many things that I'm scared I'll forget as the years go by (that I know I'm already forgetting and you're just 3!).

  • You love pink and purple but recently you've been saying that all the colors are your favorite.

  • You're just getting your 2-year molars now. you really don't complain much about them.

  • You're very independent most of the time, but you have your cuddle moments

  • A little sister jealousy creeps in now and then when you rush to be the first to sit in my lap or ask to be held.

  • You you say grace before dinner sometimes. When you do, you always thank God for "giving you wings"

  • You decide to speak french at home sometimes and get frusterated if we respond in english - "Mamma! I'm talking french!"

  • You've become very picky when it comes to eating your vegetables. Most of the time I can convince you to eat at least some with promises of dessert!

  • You love wearing dresses and being told you're pretty

  • You adore your little sister and have so many nicknames for her that we lose track!

  • You love to play (especially with Dad) hide-and-seek, the boat game, jumping on the bed!

  • You're quite the little dancer. Though sometimes your moves make me blush a little...

  • You're very excited that I "work upstairs" when you're at daycare - that alone has made going back to work so much easier for me!

  • I love taking you and your sister out for breakfast. I'm sure "girl outings" like that will only be more and more fun as you both get older.

  • You love going for ice-cream and are very excited that the nice weather is on its way!
  • You are your grandma's ANGEL, your Dad's MONKEY or MAPLE SYRUP and my SWEETIE

Ah Layla. My independent, spontaneous, rambunctious, silly, sweet... and most of all... my loveable little girl. I have a feeling you're going to keep me on my toes for years to come.

Happy Birthday sweetie. I love you so much and pray that this year is full of laughter, adventures, discovery and good health.

Love, Mom xx

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Andrea your letter to Layla has brought me to tears! YOu are an exceptional writer! YOu have inspired me to write to my little Leilah on her yearly birthdays!

Post a Comment

What do you think about that?

Related Posts with Thumbnails