"trial" gourmet (22) not a hit with the family

My Very First Veal Parmigiana


This week's "trial gourmet" post begins with a confession of sorts. Since I started this recipe project last fall I haven't been completely forthcoming. At the beginning I intended to share it all - the good and the bad. But the truth is that I've actually cooked (and photographed) quite a few more meals than I've blogged about. My thinking behind this is simple - "why would I share something that didn't work?" (unless it's funny or there is a lesson to learn - like my jam making experience - groan!).

These days, my time seems more and more limited. My dinner preparations are taking a back seat to everything... (or at least it feels that way) and I'm trying to get away with doing the least amount of work possible. Keeping it simple and finding quick supper solutions works most of the time. But sometimes... sometimes your meal is going to suffer... and your family is going to suffer right along with you when they eat it (sigh...)

For some reason I was inspired to attempt my first "veal parmigiana" this week. I have a huge batch of home-made tomato sauce that I wanted to try. I thawed the last of the meat from the 1/2 cow that we purchased last fall - some thin steaks (not quite veal cutlets BUT for the record: I'm normally very "against" eating veal after visiting a veal farm with Brandon a few years ago, but this meat was only technically veal because of its weight and was not milk-fed or antibiotic fed or treated badly in any way whatsoever...). I didn't actually have parmesan, but I had cheddar cheese... I was convinced it was a good idea.

The result? I thought it was ok. I was actually surprised at how tender the meat was when cooked this way. Meaghan gobbled it up (but that doesn't really count as she's at the phase where she just likes to eat. period.) Brandon gave me a "mneh. it was okay. I ate it.". And Layla gagged. Layla? My amazing little meat-eater? Sure, I'll admit that she's gotten pickier when it comes to her veggies - but a gag? for meat, tomato sauce and cheese?

I guess I won't be making this one again.

My inspiration for the "veal" parmigiana came from a recipe on the food network. My actual recipe was more like this:


3 slices of thin rib steak
1/2 cup store bought bread crumbs
2 eggs (whisked)
1/3 cup of olive oil
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Pat dry steaks
Coat meat in egg mixture (remove excess egg) 
Coat in bread crumbs


Heat olive oil in a large skillet
Cook steaks about 3 minutes per side in oil


Fill bottom of pie dish with 1/2 cup of tomato sauce
Place meat in sauce
Sprinkle about 4 tablespoons of grated cheese over meat


Cover with remaining tomato sauce
Sprinkle with remaining cheese


Cover dish with aluminum foil
Bake for 20 minutes (covered) + 5 minutes (uncovered)


Enjoy! (or not...) 

1 comments:

Aimée said...

I'm surprised! It seems like such a kid-friendly meal. Honestly it looks great. We love it with chicken, over pasta, in subs...

Oh well, C'est la vie, eh?

Post a Comment

What do you think about that?

Related Posts with Thumbnails